Those who are struggling with an addiction must overcome more than their physical dependence upon a substance. Since addiction extends beyond the physical act of consuming a drug, treatment for both the physical and the emotional aspect of addictive behaviors must be treated. Because of this, it is imperative that patients receive comprehensive treatment in order to treat all of the aspects that have contributed to the addiction. Individual therapy plays an extremely beneficial role in achieving long-term recovery. By working with a counselor in a one-on-one setting, patients are able to understand the underlying factors that may have aided in their addiction in the first place. The following benefits are directly linked to the incorporation of individual therapy into a treatment plan:
- Classifying past traumatic events that may have aided in the abuse of substances
- Developing new points of view related to the obvious, as well as the underlying, causes of addiction
- Forming new, healthy skills for coping with stressful feelings
- Appropriately handling setbacks and progression throughout the course of treatment
- Creating ways to avoid or cope with situations where substances may be available for use
- Forming personal goals for both the present and the future
By gaining an understanding of how one’s own emotions and behaviors may have led to the development of an addiction, individuals are able to prepare for a future that is substance-free. Individual therapy provides a safe environment in which patients are able to openly discuss and share their emotions in order to progress in their recovery.
In addition, patients who take part in individual therapy are more likely to experience the following throughout the therapeutic process:
- An increase in self-confidence
- An improvement in self-esteem
- A reduction of stress
- An increased sense of self-awareness
By obtaining these beneficial aspects of individual therapy, patients are able to build a solid foundation in which to build upon throughout the course of treatment.
Southeast Massachusetts Comprehensive Treatment Centers believe that by incorporating individual therapy into a patient’s treatment plan, he or she will be more likely to achieve lasting recovery. Not only do sessions allow patients to make progress in treatment, but they also allow our staff of highly qualified counselors the opportunity to monitor that progress.
If you or someone you love is struggling with an addiction to opioids and would benefit from the treatment that we offer, please contact Southeast Massachusetts Comprehensive Treatment Centers today. We are here to guide you towards a life free from the dangerous cycle of addiction.